Some advice on how to write an advert that matches your personality...
How Do I Describe Myself?
Be clear. Take a moment to think about what you want to say. How many times do you get a chance to tell someone your best points? Before you begin writing your advert, have a look at what others have written. Look for any adverts that stand out and catch your eye. If something catches your eye, it will probably catch the eye of someone that has something in common with you! You never get a second chance to make a first impression. Keep in mind, be yourself. Don't try to sound the way you would like to sound. Let them know the real you!
- Be honest about who you are, in text and photo. You are much more likely to meet someone you will be happy with in the long run if you are completely honest from the beginning.
- Use an up-to-date picture... don't use a picture from 1969, just because you had more hair!
- Reveal something fun, personal, or unique about yourself. Let who you are shine through.
- Use specific descriptive phrases or words, especially concerning personality. Rather than saying, "I am looking for someone with a good sense of humor," tell them what makes you laugh.
- Details are important. Details are not boring. You might think that saying "I enjoy movies" is better than listing which movies you really enjoy. On the contrary, a LOT of people enjoy movies but only some of those people enjoy the same movies that you do. Furthermore, the types of movies you like reveal your personality and lifestyle.
- Don't be afraid to speak your mind. Don't be shy about expressing some of your more "drastic" views. They may not please everyone, but it will save you the time of dealing with people who have fundamental differences with you.
- Describe yourself first, then describe what you are looking for in a mate. People are interested in reading about your qualities and interests. If you match what they are looking for, they will keep reading. However, don't be too picky.
- Are you looking for real love? Companionship? Someone to date while you finish med school? Be honest about what you are after -better now than later.
- Don't reveal everything. (your phone number and address are better left for a time when you really know the person).
- Smile, with your words and your picture. Your happiness is attractive!
- Keep your Personal updated. Gone from blonde to brunette? Time for a new picture! Also, if your interests change, let the world know, so you can find what you're looking for.
What I am Looking For
- Be honest here too. Make your intentions clear.
- Be open-minded. Judging a book by its cover only gives you part of the story.
- Keep your eyes opened. The Personals are home to literally thousands of people. No need to fall for the first one you see.
- Search "keywords" that interest you. Do you like football? Type in football. You will be surprised by how many others share your interests... and it's a great ice-breaker too!
- E-mail is fun to receive. The more you write, the more you'll receive -- the pickier you can be.
* Remember the Golden Rule: Treat others the way you want to be treated. If you don't want to be judged only on your looks, don't pick others just on looks.
- Don't be afraid to look outside of your geographical region. There are plenty of people out there who are willing to have a long distance relationship!
- When you get email in response to your Personal, try to respond, even if just to say "Thanks." Politeness is always a good M.O.
- Love is a numbers game - increase your odds by writing a number of people.
- Respond to any interesting piece of mail. You never know how it may turn out!
- Give members time to get up the nerve to respond to your mail before you write again.
- Go back for second looks at a "maybe." Perhaps they've updated a photo or added a new detail that's intriguing.